An Autist Reviews: Evening Festival (JJK Season 2 - Episode 7)


*This is a brand new review!*


*All Reviews Are Spoiler-Free Aside From Any Spoiler Sections*


*This is a bare-bones/lite review made after only a single viewing. (Hence there not being any replay rating)*


Before the review begins I need to state that I am NOW aware of the fact that Ghosting and Dimming are not done at MAPPA, or at least not as part of the actual creation, they are thrown on after and are not MAPPA’s fault, at least entirely. I am not changing my statements, I still dislike the animation in general and many of my complaints remain, and these two things still are a massive issue worthy of being placed in my review and ratings and I’m not giving them their own spot because frankly how the hell am I supposed to judge the quality of the animation behind the Ghosting and Dimming when I can’t see that until the damn Blu-Ray drops? It IS the animation I saw, so it is still a part of what I will review and I will for the sake of my reviews consider it to be a part of the animation and judge it as such, I.E. as I did here but with much less vitriol towards MAPPA at least and I will likely try to see beyond the Ghosting and Dimming as much as I can to judge the true animation, but if it hurts my experience you had best BELIEVE I am going to rail against it hard, I’m not going out of my way to excuse it just because it’s not the Animators’ fault, I just won’t be blaming them.


The hyped fight between Mechamaru and Mahito occurs with shitty, incomprehensible animation and ends too soon so that the Shibuya Incident proper can begin an episode before it should be because It’s Like That had to take an entire half of an episode and MAPPA couldn’t increase the episode load by 1.


I am fucking pissed. Whoever did the writing and storyboarding for this episode screwed up one of the best fights in all of JJK. And for what? Style points? To show off animation? To get into Shibuya a bit faster after wasting an entire half an episode on It’s Like That when they could have spent so much less time on it?? Most of my issues come with the goddamn animation, but you best believe I have issues with the fucking writing too. The fight should have been the entire fucking episode, it shouldn’t have ended way too soon and with a sudden jump to fucking Shibuya beginning afterwards with zero fucking buildup or suspense. Shibuya should have begun next fucking episode or the  very beginning should have been at the very end of this episode, maybe a post-credit scene. Gojo arriving this episode is such a massive fucking failure to pace this that I am now sincerely scared moving forward in Shibuya, not to mention how fucking dogshit the animation was, but that’s a later discussion. Look, the writing itself is largely good, but it also in a lot of places doesn’t work as well as it could because of the shitty goddamn way the source material is handled. I know that to someone who hasn’t read the manga most of my complaints here are going to make no sense, but I don’t give a fuck, how do you screw this up this fucking bad when there is this much production value and effort put into it. The exposition is good, the story itself is good, the narration is good even if the voice acting isn’t, but everything else is fucking terrible or torpedoed by some other fucking aspect of this shitshow. Who the fuck wrote this, who the fuck storyboarded this, who said that any of this was okay?? Mechamaru deserved so much fucking better and if this is a sign of how Shibuya was adapted moving forward then I am going to only get more fucking pissed off.


The acting isn’t even as godly as it usually is. The side characters and whoever the fuck is narrating at the end help to bring down the rating a fair deal, in fairness, but also in fairness this should have had some of the best voice acting we’ve had yet this season and yet our main characters and villains are somehow managing to be subpar. Was any part of the production team actually putting effort into this episode or did everyone just want to move on.


Who the fuck was the lead animator. I just want to fucking talk. How many obscuring effects and layering on of the actual animation can one fucking fight have?? AN INFINITE FUCKING AMOUNT APPARENTLY. CAN THE CAMERA NOT BE FIVE INCHES AWAY FROM MAHITO, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE I AM AND WHAT’S HAPPENING AROUND THE FUCKING CHARACTERS PLEASE. CAN YOU NOT OBSCURE THE GODDAMN ACTION AND ACTUALLY LET THE VIEWER SEE WITHOUT COVERING THE SCREEN WITH DIMMED LIGHT IN VARIOUS COLORS FOR SOME FUCKING REASON?! CAN ANY OF THE ANIMATION NOT BE PAINFULLY INCOMPREHENSIBLE FOR FIVE FUCKING SECONDS?! CAN YOU NOT REPEATEDLY SHOOT COOL MOMENTS IN THE FOOT BY MAKING THEM SIMPLE PAINTINGS OR MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE WHAT’S HAPPENING?! IF THIS IS WHAT SHIBUYA IS GOING TO LOOK LIKE THIS IS GOING TO BE FUCKING HORRIFIC. I HATED THE GODDAMN CHAINSAW MAN ANIME BECAUSE OF HOW SLOW AND BORING MAPPA MADE EVERYTHING BUT AT LEAST THE ANIMATION WAS ALWAYS STELLAR, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MAPPA??? WHAT FIVE YEAR OLD DID YOU LET MAKE THIS?! EVERYTHING IS OBSCURED OR THE CAMERA IS TOO CLOSE TO THE ACTION OR THE FUCKING ANIMATION IS JUST GENERALLY INCOMPREHENSIBLE OR WORSE ALL OF THESE FUCKING COMBINED. THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST FIGHTS IN THE FUCKING MANGA TO THIS FUCKING DAY AND THAT’S SAYING SOMETHING GIVEN WHAT’S TO COME, BUT AT THIS RATE, IF THIS IS A SIGN OF THINGS TO COME, NO FIGHT IN SHIBUYA IS GOING TO TOP ANY FIGHT FROM SEASON ONE AND I CANNOT BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW FUCKING PAINFUL THAT IS AS A FAN WHO WAS SO HYPED FOR THIS. I AM NOW FUCKING TERRIFIED OF WHAT’S TO COME BECAUSE OF THIS, NEXT WEEK I WILL NOT BY HYPED I WILL BE SCARED, I WILL BE NERVOUS, NOT BECAUSE I’M WORRIED ABOUT THE CHARACTERS BUT BECAUSE I’M WORRIED MAPPA WILL RUIN EVERYTHING ELSE LIKE THIS. EVEN IF EVERY OTHER FIGHT IS GOD TIER, THIS WILL STILL REMAIN A MASSIVE STAIN ON THIS GODDAMN SEASON AND ON MAPPA AS A WHOLE. HONESTLY, THIS HAS MADE ME TAKE BACK A LOT OF THE GOODWILL MAPPA BUILT UP WHEN IT CAME TO THIS NEW ANIMATION STYLE. CAN WE HAVE THE OLD TEAM BACK, BECAUSE THEY NEVER MADE A BAD FIGHT, CERTAINLY NOT ONE AS HORRENDOUS AS THIS ONE. OVER-ANIMATION IS A FUCKING THING AND THIS FUCKING PROVES IT. GOD I CANNOT BEGIN TO EXPLAIN HOW DISAPPOINTING THIS WAS AS A MANGA FAN AND SO HELP ME GOD IF I SEE THIS WIND UP BEING PRAISED BY PEOPLE AS HAVING AMAZING ANIMATION THEN I AM GOING TO LOSE MY FAITH IN HUMANITY. A SHIT TON OF EFFECTS AND UBER-DETAILED ANIMATION DOES NOT MAKE SOMETHING WELL ANIMATED, THAT REQUIRES COHESION, PACING, THE ABILITY TO TELL WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON, I WAS SO HYPED, I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE AMAZING, I REALLY DID. I AM SO FUCKING ANGRY, I JUST CAN’T.


The only good thing I can take out of this is the hope that the reason this episode was so shit is because the entire team was way too excited to work on the Shibuya Incident proper and didn’t care about this at all and phoned it in so they could hurry up and get to the part they really wanted to work on. If that’s not the case then this is either a massive colossal fuckup and black mark on this season and this series as a whole or it’s a pathetic sign of things to come and MAPPA is going to make me their fucking enemy for life worse than any AOT fan they’ve pissed off. This episode fucking sucked, if it wasn’t for good sound design and Gege’s story being inherently good and well-written then this fucking episode would be one of the lowest rated ANYTHING I’ve ever reviewed, I promise you that.


Total - 6 (This is not getting a fucking 7, it deserves much worse too.)


Plot - 6

---

Story - 9

Pacing - 3

Dialogue - 8

Narration - 9

Exposition - 7

Adaptation - 3

Enjoyment - 4

Twist/s - NR

Resolution/s - 1

Ending/s - 7


Acting - 8

---

MC/s - 9

SC/s - 7

BG/s - 9

Narrator/s - 5


Animation/Effects - 6

---

Music - 9

Voice Effects - 10

2D Animation - 4

3D Animation - NR

Set Pieces - 8

Designs - 7

Action - 1

Cinematography - 4

Sounds - 9


Replay - NR

---

Re-Enjoyment - NR

New Details - NR


-=- If you want to see more of my reviews, some of my craziness, my thoughts on stories I've experienced but not reviewed, and the important libtard things I share around because I'm a filthy liberal snowflake, check out my Instagram page @maxtheautist -=-

Comments