An Autist Reviews: Hidden Inventory -IV- (JJK Season 2 - Episode 4)


*All Reviews Are Spoiler-Free Aside From Any Spoiler Sections*


*This is a bare-bones/lite review made after only a single viewing. (Hence there not being any replay rating)*


Geto will kill Toji. Gojo cannot possibly be dead. The Star Plasma Vessel has been murdered. Who wins? Who loses? Does it even matter?


Well I won’t act like I ever really had hope that this episode could top last episode, although there was certainly a part of me delusional enough to think that the finale of Hidden Inventory could outdo the Manga well enough  to make me feel just about anything about it. Still, this was by no means a bad episode and I know that for some reason the moments in this episode are beloved by many, so I’m certain they’ll have a great time with this episode. The Geto and Toji fight was fantastic, if a little short, and the awakening of Gojo was handled well even if this episode had some pretty serious pacing issues, rushing way too much while somehow feeling perfectly paced. Go figure. The breaking of Geto and the Awakening of Gojo was something to behold but I couldn’t really emotionally connect to either for some reason, but I definitely had plenty of points where I enjoyed myself too. The narration was well written, the exposition was pretty good, there were no real twists to speak of, and everything was resolved pretty well even if it was too anticlimactic for my taste. This was strangely one of the most manga accurate episodes yet, extending things but never in a way I can truly say changed anything or made anything better. All in all, it’s hard to rate an episode like this because of my hollow feelings about it, which is sad but honestly not surprising.


The acting was perfect, the insanity of Gojo’s voice, the pain of Geto’s, the EVERYTHING of Toji’s, it was all perfect. Everyone has been giving the performance of a lifetime this season and I cannot wait for Premature Death, because I DO hope that it will wreck me emotionally and think it very well could. Anyway, cheers to everything acting-related, it was the best part of the episode.


Look, the classical music got a little annoying and felt kinda disconnected. I’m sure a lot of people will like that choice, but I gotta put it out there that I just didn’t. Anyway, my only gripe with the 2D animation and Cinematography is the pacing of some action moments and the not showing of action from time to time. Those are also my issues with the action scenes in general. The set pieces were fantastic but also felt kind of under-utilized or over-utilized, which is strange but also somewhat expected given the length of the battles this episode. All that out of the way, the animation continues to be beautiful and while I’m not sure I'd call it an improvement, it’s certainly matching it in many ways and I can see ways in which it’s better. Still, I’d prefer my old style. The action itself is incredible and the beauty of everything is heavenly, especially Gojo’s now awakened eyes, which, by the way, I am so happy that his eyes looking boring was a fucking plot point and I didn’t realize it, because damn, that’s fucking awesome. The eerier moments of this episode were also exquisite, and seeing the world warp around Geto as he breaks slowly but surely is absolutely cruel and inspired. The clapping, god the clapping, that is going to haunt me for sure, and I know that was the intention. Honestly, got nothing else to say, sorry, but I feel numb about this, so what can I exactly do?


All in all, while I personally don’t feel much of anything about this episode, it is exquisitely done and manga readers who like these chapters will adore it and I’m sure anime only’s will also get a kick out of it more than they won’t since that seems to be the way this is for manga readers. The animation and writing were exquisite, really, sadly it just didn’t connect with me personally and that’s something that will always happen sometimes in media, but I can still appreciate the beauty and terror of this episode and be excited for what’s to come, because at least next episode is guaranteed to be interesting if nothing else. See you then.


Total - 8 (knocked down one because I just feel empty about it sadly.)


Plot - 9

---

Story - 10

Pacing - 7

Dialogue - 10

Narration - 10

Exposition - 9

Adaptation - 7

Enjoyment - 7

Twist/s - NR

Resolution/s - 9

Ending/s - 9


Acting - 10

---

MC/s - 10

SC/s - 10

BG/s - 10

Narrator/s - 10


Animation/Effects - 9

---

Music - 9

Voice Effects - 10

2D Animation - 9

3D Animation - 10

Set Pieces - 9

Designs - 10

Action - 8

Cinematography - 9

Sounds - 10


Replay - NR

---

Re-Enjoyment - NR

New Details - NR


-=- If you want to see more of my reviews, some of my craziness, my thoughts on stories I've experienced but not reviewed, and the important libtard things I share around because I'm a filthy liberal snowflake, check out my Instagram page @maxtheautist -=-

Comments